Rice Salad with Prunes, Almonds and Bacon
This recipe was adapted from a Sunsweet recipe. After finding this recipe I thought, what better recipe to share than a dish that features the trifecta of crops our family grows: rice, almonds and prunes. To top it all off the dressing is made with high quality extra virgin olive oil produced by our Kennedy cousins at Knaughty Farms. This is a hearty and satisfying rice salad packed with all kinds of California grown goodness--and did I mention bacon?
Rice is really a wonderful grain for salads and provides the perfect dance floor for all the other ingredients to mingle. Roasty and nutty chopped almonds; colorful and crunchy bell pepper; sweet dark prunes; tender green spinach; and the rich, salty flavor of crispy bacon. All of it comes together with a light rice vinegar and olive oil dressing that lets the flavors of the ingredients shine through.
This could be the perfect salad to bring to a family picnic or barbecue and to usher in the sunny days of Spring. Bon appetite!
Rice Tips: Don’t uncover the saucepan or stir the rice during cooking. If it’s done before you’re ready to serve it, place a folded towel over the saucepan, replace the lid, and set aside. The towel will absorb excess moisture and condensation, helping prevent overcooked and mushy rice.
Salad Tips: Make sure the rice is completely cold before salad preparation and give yourself plenty of time by cooking the rice a day in advance. Better yet, use left over rice from previous nights dinner. Salad itself may be prepared a day in advance and left to chill, but be sure to add the almonds and spinach just before serving so they don't get soggy and wilted.
This recipe features the following products from our gift shop:
Rice Cooking Instructions
- Pour water (for every cup of rice, use 1 3/4 cups of water) into a large saucepan with a tight-fitting lid. Bring to a boil. Mix 1 teaspoon salt into the water.
- Add rice to the boiling water.
- Stir once, or just enough to separate the rice. Use a wooden spoon to separate any clumps.
- Cover the pot and simmer. Be sure the lid fits tightly on the pot. Turn down the heat to lowest setting. Let rice simmer for about 18 minutes, then remove from heat and allow the rice to steam in the pot for another 5 minutes.
- Fluff rice with a fork Just before serving, gently fluff the rice with a fork to separate the grains.
- Stir together all salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- Whisk together all dressing ingredients in a small bowl and drizzle over salad.
- Toss well to coat.
- Chill for at least one hour.